St. Peter’s Episcopal Church approves the founding of St. Peter’s Haven, which opens its first shelter for homeless families on Oct 30, 1986.
Biblical garden is created and dedicated to Frank David Moorman, the son of city councilman Vernon Moorman. Frank Moorman, a parishioner of the church and former student of the Clifton School district, served in Vietnam. Posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor after the military determined he was killed in action, his name can be found on the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. However, in Clifton, a plaque in the biblical garden at St. Peter’s reads “Biblical Garden, in Honor of Frank David Moorman.”
The Reverend Louis Luisa laid cement on the cornerstone for the new church building.
The new church building is dedicated. The Rt. Rev. Leland Stark, DD, Bishop of Newark, and the Rt. Rev. George E. Rath, STD, Suffragen Bishop, officiate.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church is deconsecrated so it can be demolished to make space for a new church building.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church is razed to make way for a new church building.
St. Peter's Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Its Founding
Clifton Defense Council’s request for the use of the Parish Hall as a shelter in case of an emergency approved. Dr. Joseph Jehl resigns his spot on the vestry and enlists in the U.S. Army, along with other parishioners and residents of Clifton, NJ.
The Rev. Grambs made a few “begging visits” to the board of education between 1933 and 1935 when the vote passed. To utilize the 450-pound bell, St. Peter’s built a belfry to harmonize with the Church and the bell was installed. When it came time for the Parish to build a new church, the bell was preserved and hung in the new belfry, where it stands today.
The Rev. John G. Martin takes a leave to serve as a YMCA worker in World War I. In all, 35 men and 1 woman from St. Peter’s enlist in 1917 to fight “the war to end all wars.” In 1919, enlister Lloyd Bogart, makes a dramatic entrance when he walks into the office of his father, who had accepted the government’s report that he had made the supreme sacrifice.
Clifton is incorporated as a city. St. Peter’s parishioner, Clarence W. Finkle, Sr. Chairman of the township committee, serves as a temporary mayor until January 1, 1918.
St. Peter’s acquires its first rector, John Goodridge Martin.
The canons of the diocese change granting women the right to vote in parish meetings – 7 years before the nation passed the 19th amendment.
St. Peter’s celebrates its 15th anniversary and writes the first history of the church.
The Rev. Henry Baldwin Todd comes to St. Peter’s as a lay reader. He is ordained as a deacon and becomes St. Peter’s last “minister-in-charge.”
The 5th anniversary service is held with St. Luke’s choir in Paterson joining St. Peter’s for a total of 40 voices.
The first funeral in the “new” church is held for John S. Pollard, father of Mrs. S.R. Trevett. The year 1900 is practically unrecorded save for this event.
First service is held in the new church. Donations to the church include the altar and chandeliers from Trinity, Paterson; the font from St. John’s, Passaic; and the bishop’s chair from either St. Paul’s or Trinity.
The first meeting of the Dorcas Guild, a fundraising organization for the parish, is held at the home of Mrs. George Anderson. In attendance are: Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. R. Trevett, W. B. Hait, C. Williamson, Cook, Derbyshire, Withers, Kock, Woodruff, E. A. Smoth and Misses Green and Bessie Hait. By April 14, 1898, membership will reach 18.
The Dorcas Guild pays $72.66 for the lots on which the present church stands. They also form the Altar Guild and Choir Guild and open their homes for Students from General Theological Seminary who lead Sunday services.
Father Evans and Mrs. Anderson present the first confirmation class, which include Everett T. and May F. Wells and Mrs. S. R. Trevert who will later bequeath her entire estate to St. Peter's Church.
Mrs. McDaniels starts St. Paul's Sunday School at McDaniels Hall on Florence Avenue, now Getty Avenue, opposite the strip mall on the corner of Clifton Avenue and Getty Avenue.
Bishop Thomas A. Starkey appoints the Rev. William P. Evans, Rector of St. Mark's Paterson, as Priest-in-Charge of the new mission.
Church founder, Mr. Evans conducts the first Evening Prayer and Sermon. The Mission's name is changed to St. Peter at the request of Bishop Starkey.
Bishop Starkey recognizes St. Peter's as an organized mission.